Minors in Chemical Engineering Banner


A minor allows an undergraduate student to specialize in a secondary discipline. A student may minor in any subject, provided the title of the minor differs from the title of the student’s major or major concentration.

To pursue a minor, you must first be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program and file a Curriculum Add/Drop Form with the Registrar's Office to declare the minor. We recommend that you begin your minor studies as early as possible in your academic career.

Minors offered by our department are listed below.


Polymer Science and Engineering

Meet the demand for chemical engineers who understand the chemical and mechanical properties of polymers, plastics, and composites. Some of the largest chemical companies in the world, several of which are based in Michigan, pursue Tech graduates with this training.

See Polymer Science and Engineering Requirements


Mineral Processing

Help to sustainably manage the earth’s resources. Graduates combine their knowledge of chemical engineering and minerals processing to extract and refine valuable minerals, while at the same time protecting and restoring the landscape.

See Mineral Processing Requirements


Bioprocess Engineering (Interdisciplinary Minor)

Work to develop lifesaving medicines and improve the food supply for a hungry world. Graduates in this field provide expertise on biological processes to major chemical, pharmaceutical, and food manufacturers.

See Bioprocess Engineering Requirements


Hydrogen Technology (Interdisciplinary Minor)

Understand the use of hydrogen as an energy carrier. Graduates in this field create fuel cells and apply their knowledge to fuel-cell operation, alternative energy sources, hydrogen policy issues, safety training, and hydrogen-related technologies.

See Hydrogen Technology Requirements